Friday, August 13, 2010

Booster Gold #35

There are some comics that appeal to my sensibilities so much, so clearly, that I know I must own artwork from that issue. This is one of those issues. I must get my hands on a page with Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Mr. Miracle, and Big Barda engaging in JLI hijinks.

This book is SO good. Keith Giffen and JM DeMatteis are still bringing the funny, but they also know just how sad the underlying situation is for Booster. Blue Beetle is too smart to miss that Booster is from the future, but he figures Booster is just back to have a good time. Booster (and the reader) knows better, and that's what changes the scene from a comedy to a tragedy.

I think it is hilarious that we're seeing Darkstars. These guys are a footnote in the DCU, but they look pretty important here.

And how great is it seeing Mr. Miracle and Barda looking this cool? I mean, doesn't this make it seem like these characters need a new ongoing?

Chris Batista rocks the art in this. His clean pencils look perfect, and his Barda is both powerful and sleek. Pat Oliffe steps in nicely for the last few pages.

In all seriousness, this is the best book on the stands.

Excellent

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Takes place in the past. I almost bought with Big Barda on the cover. The New Gods are pretty much invisible now in DC.

Timbotron said...

Yeah, but I'll take what I can get, won't you? :)

JLP1973 said...

Definitelly a great story, with many remarkable and touching moments. A nostalgia masterpiece and a great chance to see a team that really worked well in the past: the fictional JLI and the real Giffens/Dematteis team. I'm glad they didn't lost their classic ways of making us laugh and still pay attention to the story! A new classic!