Friday, August 27, 2010

Hulk v3: Hulk No More

I have a secret to enjoying Jeph Loeb's Hulk; I pretend that the story was written by a child, for other children to read. When I read it in that context, this book is a lot of fun. Do you think Rulk (Red Hulk) should be able to fly around on Silver Surfer's board holding Terrax's axe? Can Red Hulk just kill Hulk, Surfer, Namor... actually, why go on? Rulk can kill ANYONE, that's the point of this comic. He just runs around beating the hell out of Marvel heavy hitters. If you have a problem with that, don't pick this up, but if you want to see the simplest of plots involving smashing, this is not bad.

I do feel bad for She-Hulk. After the entertaining but pointless Offenders arc, Ben Urich, Peter Parker, Doc Samson, and She-Hulk head out to a gamma base to see who is behind Bruce Banner's abduction. It turns out MODOK and Rulk are working together, and after Doc Samson inexplicably turns evil (after an odd Hulk-like transformation), it's a battle royal. She-Hulk just gets pummeled around the book; she's really not doing much these days. I'd be more worried about the Doc Samson transformation if I thought it was going to stick. I do like the idea of Rick Jones being A-Bomb for a while. It's amusing seeing Rick enjoying his time in the "strongest there is" club, but how does Marlo feel about this?

Ed McGuiness' art is awesome. The Offenders look tremendous. McGuiness gets to do a wonderful version of Psycho-Man, too. Hell, a good 2/3 of the reason I read this book is exciting artwork. Do not read this for high character development; buy this trade because you want to see the classic Defenders fight their opposites in over-the-top style.

I assume things get more complicated (and more logical) as this title crosses over with Greg Pak and Jeff Parker in the upcoming World War Hulks trade. I'm looking forward to it. Oh, and that title? I don't buy it for a second. Bruce Banner will be able to Hulk Out again by the end of the next trade.

Good

1 comment:

Mad Men Girl said...

Pssst... come over to my blog!