Thursday, August 19, 2010

Brightest Day #8

Ugh. This comic was a chore to get through. I didn't mind the Martian Manhunter stuff, of course, even though it didn't really go anywhere. But man, that Hawk stuff was really rough.

I mean, when there needs to be a double splash page filled with dialogue and diagrams explaining the new "origin" for Thanagar? Too complicated. I just can't make myself care about this new complicated middle world. Factor in (SPOILER) that Hawkwoman's Mother is the big bad reveal, and I just don't care. Have we ever seen this lady before? Is she important somehow and my DC knowledge just doesn't cover it? I'm confused!

The Hawks are not a difficult concpet. They hit people with large metal objects. Sometimes the objects are blunt, sometimes sharp. I don't need the Hawks becoming deities to weird lion men and lizard men and bird men. Am I alone here? Or is this missing the mark?

The art was fine, but wow, I am seriously underwhelmed.

Poor

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Testify. Seriously, you captured my thoughts perfectly. There are parts of the book that I enjoy (Deadman, Hawk & Dove, Aquaman), but I really just don't care what Geoff is doing with the Hawks. And frankly, I haven't seen enough of the Firestorm stuff to know whether I should be bother to care. This was the first issue where I actually started dreading the idea of slogging through, what, 16 or 18 more issues of *this*?

Timbotron said...

Ha! I thought the same thing. Can I really make it 15 more issue? I don't think I can.