Sunday, August 8, 2010

Comics on the Bubble: Aliens vs. Predator (1990)

Wow, is this series ever wordy! You'd think that a franchise featuring two essentiallly mute alien races would be just action, but there is a lot of talky in these things! Randy Stradley really wanted to spend some time building up the ranching planet so he could destroy it.

Phil Norwood's art is very cool with the movie properties, but his futuristic design is pretty funny. It may be space, but everyone has very early-90s designs.

Issue 0 - So damn talky I couldn't even make myself read it! The black & white artwork is decent, but the many, many boxes of dialogue from two human pilots just takes away from the coolness of the Aliens and Predators. - SELL

Issue 1 - This is better than issue 0, but still, awfully wordy. The book gets better when the Predators start killing people, but there is still something off. I think what bothers me is that having the Predators "seed" the Aliens kind of makes the Aliens less cool. Plus, I want some space marines! - SELL I guess

Issue 2-4 - More of the same from issue 1, in fact, barely anything changes except that we get some more time with future cannon fodder. I will admit that once the creatures get down to the killing, things get a lot more interesting. Even then, too many people live! SELL

This is ok, and if I were a bigger fan of movie property comics, I'd be keeping these. For me, I need this space for super-hero comics.

Summary: SELL 0, 1, 2, 3, 4

15 bucks plus shipping and this could be yours!

No comments: