Monday, November 9, 2009

Blackest Night: Batman #1-3

I need to learn my lesson, but I won't. These ancillary Blackest Night tie-ins might be entertaining, but they really can't resolve anything. At best they'll be competent character pieces (like this one here) but for the most part, they aren't going to add to the narrative (last week's BN: Titans being an exception, I guess).

Very little actually happened here. Peter Tomasi had some nice moments with Batwing (not surprising, since he wrote Nightwing for the last 2 years), Red Robin, and Damian, but these three issues really amounted to dead bat-villains killing a lot of cops and chasing around the Wayne boys. I appreciate the clever escape to foil the heart-hunger of the Black Lanterns, but I can't help but think there wasn't actually much here. I will admit to really liking Dick Grayson as Batman. Nightwing was always one of my favorites back in the day, and I'm finding him a real treat as the new Bat-guy too.

Adrian Siyaf has a clean style that should get him more DC work. His storytelling is clean and still has a bit of the dynamism of an Ed Benes or Joe Bennett, he would fit right in the Titans stable of artists.

Fair

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Speaking of Titans, I felt like the Blackest Night Titans issues at least established something (of some sort) about Donna Troy, and showed us something really important about Dove as far as fighting off the baddies. And I get the feeling there will be something interesting about Hawk as well.