Monday, October 1, 2012

Wolverine & the X-Men #17

So this is a joke book, but that should be obvious to anyone picking it up. I’m not sure random, newer fans will get it, but for folks like me who enjoyed X-Statix, it’s great seeing Doop back in the spotlight.

Poor Doop. No one appreciates the efforts that little potato puts in to keeping the world safe for mutants. He sells his body, he fights crime, he plays roller derby with She-Hulk and Tigra. The guy’s world just never stops. You’ll have to forgive him for occasionally catching a few quick Z’s!

I have no doubt that Jason Aaron is using the real Doop translator for the little guy’s dialogue, but I still don’t have time to go back and look it up. (I never did back in the X-Statix days either.) As a kid, I used to love these random issues that made the X-Men feel a little more fun, a little more connected to the Marvel U. At $3.99 it’s not quite as funny, but Aaron is upholding an X-tradition long held by the Impossible Man, Mojo, and the X-Babies.

Seeing Mike Allred draw this book just makes me wish he did more mainstream heroes. Cannonball, Gambit, Cyclops, Warbird, they look tremendous! I can’t wait to see Allred draw She-Hulk in the upcoming FF title, his take on her is wonderful, too.

Good

No comments: