Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Captain America #638

Now this is how you do an alternate world story. I was kind of hard on the otherworld story in X-Men Legacy recently, and that’s because it was a totally unrelated sci-fi concept with no real tie to the Marvel Universe or the main character. In this one, while I didn’t realize it, this is a world with multiple ties to the Marvel Universe that I know and love. The Martian-style walkers from last month turn out to be Hydra walkers (maybe it was obvious and I just missed it?) Judging from the last page, this world has been overrun with Lizard-people, maybe a follow-up from the recent Shed storyline in Amazing Spider-Man? Kashmir Vennema has been around for awhile, tying into the beginning of Cullen Bunn’s run on the title. And by giving Cap a familiar partner to bounce ideas around with in Black Widow, the story feels more like it matters.

I’m a sucker for post-apocalyptic stories, and this one has all the right ingredients. All I need now is a future/alternate version of the Avengers, and all my boxes will be checked. Judging from some of the upcoming covers I’ve seen, that seems like a pretty safe bet. And I think Black Knight is on the team!

I also love the hunter team that Kashmir is sending after Cap and the Widow. Long-absent villains like Porcupine and the Eel are rubbing shoulders with the always fantastic Ulik the Troll. I’ve said it before, but Bunn clearly likes the same comics I do.

Francesco Francavilla bounces back after last month’s issue. Of course, last month felt a bit like filler, so maybe Francavilla was waiting for more story to sink his teeth into. The red background is still present from last issue, but with a lot more action in the foreground, it’s actually more of a mood-setting choice than just a lack of backgrounds. And the action is terrific. The whole walker-hopping sequence is top notch.

Good

No comments: