Saturday, January 28, 2012

Batman #5


I have to be careful how much I talk about this issue. I don't want to ruin any of the fun, unique effects Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo use to tell their story. I'm glad I still buy this book in paper copy rather than digitally.

I'll just say that this is a great callback to those Batman stories I remember as a kid. The ones where Batman is in totally over his head and possibly going insane. This reminds me of Venom, The Cult, and a bunch of other stories where Bats' villains really seem more prepared than he is. There are two or three ways that the Court of Owls really screws with Batman that are just disturbing.

The highest compliment I can pay a comic is when it is full of ideas I haven't seen, and Snyder is doing a great job putting Batman through some new wringers.

Capullo uses some artistic tricks to keep the reader on his toes. It's neat how effective this is. Any time you can fool your reader into thinking a copy is misprinted, and yet you are just telling your story? That's a good twist.

Excellent

No comments: