Friday, July 1, 2011

Justice League of America #58


This is one of the most uneven series (and storylines) that I’ve ever read. The Eclipso story started out strong, meandered around for a few issues, and then picked back up this issue. James Robinson plays some tricks on the reader (and Eclipso) through some clever Batman dialogue, and he continues to shine a good spotlight on Donna Troy.

I’m not advocating spreading this story out any farther, but those big action scenes sure seem like they could use a little room to breathe. I would have loved for a few more League reinforcements to help face down the eclipsed characters. We do get one great new character, Ray Palmer shows up with a plan to help take out the Shade. It’s been too long since Ray was on the League, and it’s funny how quickly he feels like an elder statesman to this group. (This league was only a couple members away from being a “real” team, I think.)

Brett Booth is who he is, and that means long necks and stretched faces but dynamic action. I am a bit surprised at Congorilla’s size, I never imagined he was a Giant-Man level growth guy, but what do I know?

Fair

No comments: