Friday, July 29, 2011

DC Retroactive: Batman - 70's


What fun. It seems I picked the right 70’s one-shot this week. How could I go wrong with Tom Mandrake’s dark, moody art? (He’s more of an 80’s and 90’s guy, rather than 70’s, right?) The art was a big selling point for me, especially after I spotted the Terrible Trio on the cover. I don’t know much about that group, but they seemed pretty darn cool in the recent Batman cartoon. (I think they were in a Dr. Mid-Nite series I read a few years ago, too).

Len Wein’s story is set while Batman is living in Gotham, with a Batcave under an office building. Bruce Wayne is a little more easygoing and willing to be friendly with those around him. I loved his observation that the Terrible Trio spends more on vehicles and back-up plans than they steal during their crime spree. It is also fun seeing Bats a little “lower” than usual. He has a hard time with these guys, they escape him twice before he finally outsmarts him. This comic is actually an argument that the September relaunch might be a good idea.

This comic isn’t complicated or amazing, but it is a solid little adventure story.

Fair

No comments: