Friday, July 15, 2011

World War Hulks: Incredible Hulks TPB


I think I should have read this trade before the World War Hulks: Red Hulk book, since this has some direct impact on that book. It's odd, this is a story (much like Chaos War) that I think read much better in monthly books, rather than in collected format. I had a very hard time figuring out what order to read stuff in throughout the entire Fall of Hulks/World War Hulks affair.

This side of the storyline focused on Bruce Banner and his inevitable return to the Hulk. No one can be surprised that it happened, and Greg Pak does do a good job making it a big event. Maybe a bit too big. Remember how I wondered if Doc Samson was heading for some sort of redemption in the Red Hulk trade? Well, he gets it here, but unless I missed something, it cost him his life. That's too bad, I always loved the idea of Doc Samson, a super-smart, psychiatrist super-hero.

The big throwdown between Hulk and Skaar lives up to expectations too. Paul Pelletier's art is so dynamic it jumps off the page. The scale of destruction for each impact is amazing.

The trade includes a terrible issue of "Son of Hulk." I never read this book, but it is BAD. I have no idea who anyone is or what they are doing, and I really hope it isn't important later, because I couldn't make myself care about this guy at all.

The opening chapter (and the Bill Mantlo bonus story) are Good, but the Son of Hulk is Poor, meaning it averages out at

Fair

No comments: