Thursday, July 21, 2011

Mystery Men #3


Another issue of Mystery Men, and another riveting read. David Liss expands his team by two this issue. I'm still loving the book, but I was so fond of the Revenant, Operative, and Aviatrix that I almost didn't want to see any spotlight taken away by any more members; then I met the Surgeon. The guy is nothing like I expected, he's more like the Shadow than any of our other cast members so far. I'm not sure what I like better, the fact that he's absolutely insane, or the fact that he constantly makes doctor puns while he's cutting scumbags to threads.

The old cast members do make a short appearance, but the bulk of the issue involves the General's odd ally Nox and the creation of the last hero for the team, Achilles. I like the idea of tying one of these characters to an item, Achilles might be the character that most easily pops up in the modern Marvel U. He certainly could fit in on any number of teams based on what I've seen so far.

Patrick Zircher does a nice job keeping the Surgeon close to his inspiration, that Shadow-like cloak is tremendous. And Achilles, while a bit on the generic side, is rocking those football pants!

Excellent

1 comment:

Martin Gray said...

I never tried this series as it sounded like Marvel were going back to the Twelve mine again - how many pulpy superheroes can one company revive? But you do make it sound fun.