Thursday, July 28, 2011

Avengers Academy #16


Geez. I know killing bystanders is popular these days, but I expect this level of gore in my DC comics, not in my Marvel ones. I understand that Christos Gage is trying to show that war is hell, and the events of this issue bear that out. Veil will never forget what happened this issue, and what she did in a moment of anger. It’s an interesting choice for one of the more “heroic” members of our initial Academy class.

The other half of the issue has Hank Pym (with minimal support from Quicksilver and Justice) taking on the Absorbing Man and Titania. Both villains are using Fear-Hammers, which evidently override the “host” personality. AM’s personality is so strong that his hatred of Pym comes shining through. I assume other strong-willed characters like Hulk and Thing are doing the same thing? If not, I don’t like the implication! I did like seeing the behemoths wrecking a city as they bash on each other; you can’t fault the scale of this fight.

Tom Raney does a great job with the destruction of Dubai. Hank Pym rarely gets to toss giant baddies around as much as he does here. I think Quicksilver might have had a chance to beat Titania too.

Good

No comments: