Monday, July 25, 2011

San Diego 2011 News

As always, there is way more news than any rational person could really read, so I'm performing a public service and throwing out some high spots, along with brief comments. I always think the same thing after seeing this kind of news; I'm glad I still love comics, there is a lot of neat stuff coming out!

UPDATED
Jason Aaron and Marc Silvestri are launching a new (green) Hulk title. There must be a limit on how many titles Aaron can write a month, I bet this is why Scalped is ending.

Matt Fraction and Terry Dodson are bringing back the Defenders, featuring Iron Fist, Dr. Strange, Red She-Hulk, and Namor (and more). With that creative team, this should be great.
Fear Itself must be leaving everyone really sad. There are numerous follow-up series planned, including the hilariously named "Shattered Heroes" one-shots. Hee hee.

Fury of FirestormS still doesn't look like a take on the characters I will enjoy.

In no particular order:
Walking Dead still looks awesome.

No way. Marvel released a picture of the Scarlet Spider's hoodie in flames. Will Ben Reilly return?

The Starjammers will show up in Mike Carey's X-Men: Legacy. 

Darwin will be returning in the pages of X-Force.

Don't assume Cyclops will survive Schism. He'd better, or I'll be pretty upset!

Martian Manhunter will appear in the opening arc of Justice League!

Catwoman seems to be having hard time keeping her clothes on in the DCNu.

Lois and Clark will definitely NOT be together in the new Superman titles.

It sounds like Stephanie Brown will be back in her Spoiler ID soon.

Apollo and Midnighter? Don't panic. Still gay.



The Justice League and the Justice League International will NOT be working together.

Green Arrow is going to be a lot younger than the version we've read about for years. I'm assuming that Connor Hawke will disappear the same way Wally West is going to. Kyle Rayner got off easy!

Power Girl may not exist in the DCNu, but Karen Starr will appear in Mr. Terrific (which means I won't see her, I guess!)

The New Gods are now on Earth-51, and will appear in Multiversity from Grant Morrison!

I found it interesting that the writer of the new Suicide Squad book had little input on Harely Quinn's new ho-bag look.

It sounds like Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuinness' upcoming mystery project is Cable, who they call the "Captain America of the X-Men." I did not see that one coming!

Brian Vaughn returns to comics with a Star Wars-inspired sci-fi comic from Image, Saga.

Marvel is launching Fearless, a new title showing what our favorite heroes are up to post-Fear Itself. Too bad I'm sure it will be $3.99 like the source series! Trade for me.

There are some sweet promo posters for the upcoming Avengers movie.

Bill Willingham is launching a new Fables spin-off. It's called "Fairest" and will feature the pretty princesses of the Fables world. Too bad it's Vertigo, I think my daughters would be thrilled!

DnA are relaunching Heroes for Hire as Villains for Hire, still starring Misty Knight and Paladin. Neat! 

Black Panther, the Man Without Fear is going to face down the Kingpin! At this point, David Liss can do no wrong. Can't wait!

Christos Gage is expanding the class of the Avengers Academy, plus they're moving out to the Avengers West Coast HQ. That should be fun for Hank Pym and Tigra, they have some weird history there. I think one of the new members is White Tiger, and possibly a member of Power Pack.

The Avengers continue getting some respect with some interesting looking one-shots. I'm not sure if I'm sold yet, but they have potential.

"Hulk of Arabia" by Jeff Parker? Say no more, I'm sold.

1 comment:

David Charles Bitterbaum said...

There wasn't any news from the Con that really made me go, "Wow, I'm so pumped up for this," other than some feelings of, "finally," when it was announced The Twelve would be finishing come the release of issue #9 in February 2012. Other than that nothing stood out much for me as super exciting. I dunno, maybe I'm still reeling from DC's total huge re-launch that everything else seems like small potatoes.