Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Black Panther #521


I love the ham-fisted politics of this issue. I suppose in this day and age, I'm sure someone is going to be offended by this issue, but frankly, that's their problem. David Liss has a nice, safe out by having all these hateful phrases coming from the Hate-Monger, even if we all know that there are real people out there saying the same thing.

And wow, were we all wrong about the American Panther. It's a tremendous move by Liss, I'm not going to spoil it here, but wow, talk about the potential to add something significant to the Marvel U...

And I love that this is a Fear Itself tie-in. I guess in Hate-Monger's last appearance, his life force was banished into space. In this issue, his essence hitches a ride on Ben Grimm's "worthy" hammer. That's it. I hope people do come looking for a tie-in, though, because I think they'll be pleased with what they find.

Francesco Francavilla returns this issue, and I couldn't be happier. This run belongs to him, his moody, dark pencils define Hell's Kitchen for me now. Jefte Palo is good, but Francavilla is incredible.

Excellent

No comments: