Thursday, June 23, 2011

Rat Catcher OGN


This thing should be a movie. And I mean that as high praise. As I found myself more and more engrossed in this story, I felt like I could practically cast Andy Diggle’s gritty crime story. This thing has it all, betrayals, racial supremacists, traitors, shootings, and fist-fights. This is destined to be a movie! (This was also true of Christos Gage’s Vertigo crime book, so maybe that’s the point of the line?)

Diggle plays with the reader a bit, saving a lot of reveals and reversals for more than halfway through the book. Some of the reversals are predictable, but others aren’t. And regardless of whether I saw it coming, Diggle lays out the foundation and justifications for every twist and turn. This is solid storytelling, and the modern Western feel gives me a lot of hope for Diggle’s new Marvel Western mini-series.

Victor Ibanez’s art is quite striking. Everything in this OGN is realistic, but the “acting” on the characters really makes the story work. This is a suspense story, and that is hard to pull off on the printed page, but Ibanez does a great job.

Good

No comments: