Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Flashpoint: Secret Seven #1


How nice of DC to put all their old readers up on the cover of Secret Seven #1! They're all those terrified oldsters looking up at the Shade, he must be announcing the line-wide reboot. Actually, I think those are the memories of Rac Shade as he loses touch with his past.

I have little exposure to Shade before this issue, except for a short guest-stint in the Suicide Squad. So let's just say I'm confused and a tad lost by this title. I guess Shade has gone crazy, and his vest has given him more abilities than the typical other-dimensional lawman? Shade spends so much time in the issue raving it's hard to get too attached, but at the same time, he's so clearly not in control I want to know what happens to him. I also enjoyed seeing the Enchantress show up; what's with her weird eyes? Her face looks like the vest-projection from Shade.

George Perez's art is as captivating as always. He is obviously the best in the business at drawing emotional super-battles. This is a bit out of his range with all the weirdness, but he handles it well.

I'm not sure why we should care, since all this is being rebooted. Is Shade part of Peter Milligan's new Justice League Dark book? Maybe some of this will stick, so I guess that makes sense. It's odd, though. If DC was rebooting their whole universe, you'd think they'd want these last few issues spent saying goodbye to all the concepts not making it into DCnU. We're about 40 titles in, and there is no sign of Tim Drake, Martian Manhunter, Power Girl, Connor Hawke, Wally West, Cassandra Cain, or Stephanie Brown. I would have liked to have visited with those characters a tad more rather than all this new Flashpoint stuff.

Fair

No comments: