Thursday, June 9, 2011

Avengers Academy #14.1


I know it is only because I pick up all the Avengers Academy books, and there are a lot of them (including those Spidey tie-ins) but it really feels like Christos Gage's creations are integrating nicely into the Marvel U. Is it just me, since I read so few Marvel books in floppy format? Or are these guys showing up everywhere?

This is my first of the "point 1" titles, a supposed jumping-on issue for new readers. I thought this was a fun little done-in-one, especially seeing such the slime ball exec who really did graduate into villainy as Norman Osborn would have wanted. The best part is that he's so confident and arrogant, I don't think this guy sees himself as a villain, he really thinks the Academy is a home for screw-ups mired in the old system.

However, he did his work too well, when he goes to far and Mettle replies with a well-timed "Kiss this!" I actually laughed out loud. I was so pleased to see that smug jerk get knocked around, it was a fantastic moment. It also provided a nice little moment of unity for a team that struggles to get along.

If I had a complaint, it would be that we didn't see the faculty at all. I need more Giant-Man and Tigra in each issue of this book!

Sean Chen turns in another solid job as the alternate penciller for this book. His design for the Buffalo-based ice hero was pretty fun. Too bad we won't see it again!

Good

No comments: