Thursday, December 22, 2011

X-Men: Second Coming 2: New Mutants 12-14


Zeb Wells is a lucky man. He gets to write the big re-match between the New Mutants and one of their worst foes; Cameron Hodge. Hodge is a classic bad guy at this point, and he's boosted by his army of smiley-armored flunkies. These guys are straight out of my X-Men childhood reading, so this is absolutely a perfect book for me.

Wells gets to continue his neat chacter-developments too. Cannonball is really turning into a mini-Cyclops, willing to sacrifice his own team in order to keep Hope alive. He doesn't want to spend their lives cheaply, but he will spend them.

High points of these chapters include Karma's fantastic use as a body-jumping death-machine. I've never been a huge fan, but man, she was great. And I can't be the only person who's tickled at this new tough-guy Cypher. I mean, I guess violence could be considered a language, but man, he's just ridiculous now. Fun fun!

Most of the team fades into the background as the story moves past the Right, but Cypher stays in a lead role as he joins up with X-Force. Mirage also gets to play host to Hope. I would have given that fight to Mirage, but it seems Cable is a pretty good teacher after all. Who would have thought?

Good

No comments: