Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Marvel Adventures: Super Heroes #17



Paul Tobin writes two quick action stories for this month’s MA: Super Heroes. I only pick this title up when I think it has something my daughter would like, or if it features one of my favorite characters. This issue stars Black Widow and Hawkeye, so it’s an easy sale for me!

The lead story is a lot stronger, with Hawkeye and Tony Stark taking on Iron Man. That’s the kind of fun, high-concept story that tickles my fancy and got my 6-year-old daughter worried. The Mad Thinker is a wonderful villain, and using him like this was a lot of fun. Ronan Cliquet’s art is clear and dynamic, this was a great read.

Marcio Takara draws the backup, and his art is a little too bulgy for my tastes. Black Widow doesn’t carry the right weight of danger or competence, both because of the art and because she doesn’t realize much about the story she’s wrapped up in. I enjoyed seeing her face down an A-level baddy, but this isn’t as strong as the lead.

Fair

No comments: