Saturday, August 20, 2011

GI Joe: Cobra TPB v4


This has been a remarkably consistent title, and it has certainly gone farther than I ever expected. When the series started, I thought Chuckles was off wandering around on the periphery of the main GI Joe world, the one taking place in the core GI Joe title. It turns out I had it backwards, Chuckles strikes the biggest blow against Cobra so far in THIS title, and I'm not sure the main Joes know what's going on. I don't even think they realize what they are up against!

Christos Gage and Mike Costa continue "rehabilitating" classic Cobras, this time focusing on Big Boa. He never wears that awful helmet like the toy, but he is pretty awesome. I liked how he and Chuckles bonded over their toughness. In fact, the whole idea that Chuckles prefers to eat with the enlisted men rather than the officers was great.

Most Joe fans have already heard about the big moment in this book, so I won't spoil it here. I will say I'm surprised that it happens as early as it does. The big event is in issue 3, leaving a whole issue for Chuckles to try and get away with it. Chuckles really racks up the body count through this story, I think he pasted three named Cobras in the last two issues alone.

Antonio Fuso's art is awesome. It's a tad on the sketchy side, but in a way that works well with the story. And Cobra Commander's new costume is wonderful, that turtleneck with that helmet? It's a fashion risk, but the Commander pulls it off. I'm also quite fond of the Viper designs, they look pretty tough too!

Good

No comments: