Tuesday, August 30, 2011

DC Retroactive: Justice League of America 1990's


How many times can I say that I absolutely adore Keith Giffen and JM DeMatteis’ Justice League? Factor in the impeccable art from Kevin Maguire, and it would have to be one bad issue to turn this sour on me.

And this is a good issue. The puns, the faces, the fantastically-detailed artwork, everything I need in a JLI-era book is here. I mean, I almost gasped at how pretty that first page with Mr. Miracle is; I mean, this book is a joke, but it looks absolutely stunning. (I’m thrilled that Power Girl makes an appearance too, she may have been on the European team, but she fits in better here.)

It’s a wonderful goodbye to the best era of the Justice League I’ve ever read. And seeing Ted Kord one last time before he’s erased was bittersweet too. The creative team plays that up with the majestic flying into the sunset close, but I can’t blame them. There must be some part of them that realizes this was last call for an era too.

This creative team got me interested in the DCU. Seeing them work their magic one last time and so perfectly re-create that environment of fun and danger? That’s a priceless comic.

Excellent

2 comments:

Jeff said...

This is the creative team that got me interested as well. Actually, my first comic was JLA 28, which I'm pretty sure was by another artist, but I loved it still. LOVED it. It turned all my comic book expectations on their head. Not sure what I would have done if my first comic had been something more boring.

Timbotron said...

I started reading DC during Invasion, probably only a few issues before you!