Friday, August 5, 2011

Justice Society of America #53


I’ll lead off by saying I really hope the rumors about the new JSA series are true. James Robinson and Nicola Scott? That’s a Golden Age dream team if you ask me. Just wonderful potential there.

But how is Marc Guggenheim doing for his lame duck story? Not bad, although I have to say I’m a bit confused. First of all, I’m pretty sure that the Challengers of the Unknown are older than they appear in this story. Isn’t one of them the old-ish priest from the recent Doom Patrol series? Yet here they are in their prime, out challenging the unknown. It just confuses me.

My other big problem is Jesse Quick. She makes such a colossal blunder in this issue, it is going to be hard to respect her after this (fortunately, I guess that is only for one more month). Unless she’s been under the influence of some mind-affecting power, she absolutely is responsible for anything that the new bad guy does after his release. And considering how much trouble someone went through to trap him? That could be bad news.

I found myself smiling through the issue, and the reason was Jerry Ordway’s art. The guy is just a master storyteller, and he does such a great job with facial expressions and different builds. I wish I could see more regular work from the guy, this book was just plain pretty.

Good (got a bump up because of the art!)

No comments: