Friday, May 11, 2012

X-Men Legacy #266

Now that’s how you write a crossover! The Avengers vs. X-Men event has been built around normally reasonable heroes not talking things out. Simply put, Cap and Cyclops, if written normally, would not be sending their allies against each other.


However, this book is different. When each side has a psycho (Moon Knight and Frenzy), it’s a lot easier to get a rumble started. She-Hulk, Falcon, Rogue, and even Gambit can all be reasonable, but man, Moonie and Frenzy push things along nicely, and now we’re set up for a sweet throw-down.

I couldn’t be more pleased at how this issue comes together. I like all the characters involved, and I was worried about choosing a side. I worried that one team or the other would come out looking like the bad guys. Gage dodges that bullet like a pro. I ALMOST find myself rooting for the X-Men here, but since this is their comic, I think that makes sense.

It is worth mentioning that Gage also addressed another concern from the core book. Iceman, Rachel Grey, and possibly Mimic all decide to throw in with Cyclops. The Schism isn’t going to last long, it seems. I would have enjoyed seeing a few more faculty members leave the X-campus, though; even with the Avengers getting some very big name support, I think Shadowcat, Rogue, Gambit, Frenzy, Cannonball, Husk, and ALL the students should be able to wrap up that mini-Avengers squad pretty easily. Heck, it’s a good thing Hellion got taken out so quickly, he’d be a big factor all by himself!

I didn’t think Rogue could copy non-mutant powers, either. If she can, this is going to be really ugly for the Avengers.

Rafa Sandoval’s art is solid. Again, Mark Brooks’ covers are simply amazing, so the interiors have a lot to live up to. But Sandoval carries the load and gets the job done. He has to draw a ton of characters (mostly unnamed) but every character looks on-model. I like his Rogue and Gambit too; he has a nice handle on the stars.

Good

No comments: