Wednesday, September 8, 2010

REBELS #20



The Main Man looks pretty darn tough on that cover, doesn't he? David Finch does a great job making Lobo look like he walked off a Simon Bisley cover from 1992. Fun stuff.

The Brainiac story wraps up leaving an interesting new status quo. Brainiac is loose in the universe with new emotions and Stargrave the anti-sun working for him. I hope they don't show up again for a while. I love Stargrave's personality and looks, but I'm getting tired of Brainiac.
I haven't been enthralled by this Brainiac story, mainly because the whole arc has taken the focus off the greater cast, leaving Vril Dox with most of the spotlight. I think he's a character that works better contrasting with more likable folks, and there isn't really anyone to cheer for right now. Lobo isn't exactly a good guy, and I cheer for him anyway, but I'd be more engaged if Captain Comet, Starfire, or Adam Strange could show up a bit.

Claude St. Aubin's art looks a bit more rushed than usual this month. The Lobo pages look nice, but I'm less impressed with the Brainiac stuff. Of course, I don't really like the bulked up design for Brainiac, so that isn't a surprise.

Fair

No comments: