Friday, September 17, 2010

Brightest Day #10


Geoff Johns does a much better job this issue (I'm now sure that Johns is handling Hawkman, Aquaman, and Firestorm). With the weak link of Hawkman's terrible new origin taken out, I'm interested in the happenings here. Let's just skip to these guys and Martian Manhunter, and I think this is a solid little series.

Professor Stein provides an updated origin for Firestorm, explaining that the Matrix is actually the force behind the Big Bang. So now that it is tied between Ronnie Raymond and Jason Rusch, they have the potential to blow up the universe and start over at any time. When they are happy, things are fine, but when they start getting "fired up," they risk blowing up everything. This is a little too cosmic for me, but the antagonist that's been egging the two on finally shows up, giving the story a boost. We knew Johns liked writing the evil Firestorm in Blackest Night, and now he can keep doing it with the newly formed Deathstorm. I'm fine with this split, giving Firestorm his own big bad makes a lot of sense.

Speaking of big bads, Black Manta shows up to try and snatch his son Aqualad. I was wincing through the entire sequence because I was sure that Aqualad's Step-Dad was going to die to give his son a decent origin. There are a couple close calls before the best one, when Aquaman shows up and reminds Manta just who's the top dog (or big fish). It's a cool scene, I really like seeing Aquaman in such a strong role.

The art is fairly solid, although the Aquaman sequences are definitely stronger than the Firestorm ones. I had to go with the Firestorm cover, he's a new favorite of mine, but that Aqualad cover is pretty nice too.

Good

3 comments:

Martin Gray said...

Deathstorm? Shouldn't that be Deathbloodclawstorm? I'm not down with the idea that every hero has to have an evil version, Firestorm already has a spiffy Rogues' Gallery.

And this Big Bang business sounds awful - I like my origins to be random, not Spider-Totemy.

Timbotron said...

I'm actually unhappy with all three retconned origins in this series. I don't like Mera as an assassin, I don't like Big Bangerstorm, and I HATE the new Hawkworld.

Of the three, I think I can get past the Mera thing, just because the characters almost seem over it, too.

Timbotron said...

I'm actually unhappy with all three retconned origins in this series. I don't like Mera as an assassin, I don't like Big Bangerstorm, and I HATE the new Hawkworld.

Of the three, I think I can get past the Mera thing, just because the characters almost seem over it, too.