Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Comics on the Bubble: Marvel Universe #1-3 (1998)


I almost shouldn't count this storyline as "on the bubble." Written by Roger Stern and drawn by Steve Epting, the top notch creative team should have been a good reminder that this is a hell of a solid story.

Through nefarious means, Baron Von Strucker has plans to create an atomic arsenal during the last days of WWII. He's more invested in Hydra than in the Nazis or Germany, which puts him at odds with just about everyone. Stern does a fantastic job of making even faceless Hydra agents seem like real threats, the specially trained saboteurs are remarkably competent. I also like how they all have code-numbers, it gives just a hint of identity to the similar looking masses.

The Invaders are a team where I like the idea, but I don't often like the actual stories. Roy Thomas' series in the 70s was fun, but bogged down by old-style pacing. Stern takes the best elements of those old stories (the Torch's confidence, Namor's jet plane, the developing team) and handles them in a more modern fashion. The Torch is awesome in this, he's constantly mouthing off in a way I don't remember, boasting and threatening the guys he's attacking. Namor is as angry and grumpy as he always is; it's great seeing him lose it when someone calls him the "Sub-Mareener." Cap is actually a bit in the background, he is cool, of course, but I think Namor and Torch shine most on the good guy side. In fact, as a whole, this is almost a Von Strucker story, he does a lot with the page he's on.

Steve Epting has turned into a premiere artist, but even this older work looks great. He's got the different fashions down, and his Cap already looks awesome. I love the Hydra equipment (I don't want to ruin it). There are times when his art almost looks like John Buscema's, and that's a high compliment.

Excellent

2 comments:

Roger Stern said...

Glad you liked it. That story has recently been collected, along with the rest of the MARVEL UNIVERSE series, as Invaders: Eve of Destruction.

Best,
-- Uncle Rog

Timbotron said...

I liked it the first time I read it too, I just couldn't remember the details.

I'll be reviewing the Bloodstone and Dr. Druid issues soon.