Saturday, September 4, 2010

Dynamo 5 TPB v2

I'm way behind on Jay Faerber's other Image super-team, Dynamo 5. I liked the first trade well enough, so I ordered the second. And now it has been sitting on my shelf for months waiting for me to get to it. I'm glad I did, this is a fun little super-hero book that has the original feel of Noble Causes while focusing a little more on straight-up super-heroics.

Captain Dynamo's kids are still the only heroes of Tower City, but now they are starting to rack up their own arch-enemies. The nicely named Bonechill is the coolest of the bunch. Volt is a pretty generic electricity guy, and Brains and Brawn round out the flunkies. Their boss is a nice femme fatale, and I always appreciate when the villain team has the exact same number of members as the heroes.

One of my favorite things about the design of the Dynamo 5 team is having the jock be the telepath. That never happens, so I love seeing Scatterbrain smash people using his football skills even as he's using his fairly delicate mind-powers. Scrap is an easy pick to be fan favorite, she's tough and confident, easy to cheer for. I also dug Myriad's complicated origin. Visionary's a fun character, being such a momma's boy, but I've got to worry that his "helicopter mom" is going to cause some problems.

Mahmud Asrar's designs are fun. Bonechill's skull-head and ice spikes are a nice visual. Brains and Brawn are a bit more generic, but overall the team looks great. The dynamic art has a wonderful 80's Marvel look.

Good

No comments: