Thursday, September 2, 2010

Brightest Day #9

Now how am I supposed to drop this comic when there is one good issue after every bad one? After being bored out of my skull last time, this issue was actually sort of interesting. Again, when Martian Manhunter takes center stage, I'm a lot more forgiving, but I'm just more invested in his story. I love the idea that he's been brought back to life to destroy his rebuilding project on Mars. I also wonder if part of J'onn's return is tied to killing this other green Martian. With some of the easy (or at least easy to understand) missions some of the returned characters have gotten, I think that J'onn has the hardest. What the heck is he supposed to be doing?

Putting Deadman and Dove with Aquaman and Mera immediately makes that both aspects of the story more interesting. Neither thread seemed "worth" getting so much page time, even though Deadman is paving the way for a mysterious White Lantern. I like the idea that these heroes are all heralds for something or someone else. And we all agree on the right person to be the big return, right? That's right, it has to be Ted Kord. Anything else would be a disappointment.

The art is pretty solid throughout, although Green Arrow looks a tad troll-like at times.

Good

No comments: