Saturday, September 25, 2010

BPRD 1947 TPB

Joshua Dysart pitches in to help Mike Mignola with his post-WWII series once again. And again, there are some great moments of terror sprinkled through this trade. I do have to admit, my favorite moment in the whole thing is the gigantic frog dancing in a glade with undead witches. I mean, that concept just sort of sells itself, doesn't it?

I love how Mignola and Dysart stock the initial BPRD field team with rough and tumble WWII vets. They have varied backgrounds but quickly fall in together once things get rough. I will say, seeing a comrade torn to shreds by butler-vampires will certainly make believers out of the most dedicated doubters. I love seeing Professor Bruttenholm's mystic past come to light as he attempts to make the BPRD more of a government institution. he can't quite leave behind his old supernatural contacts; they're still good guys to know.

Hellboy doesn't have much more than a supporting role, but I still grinned to see him yelling "BOOM" while playing baseball.

Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon split the art in some neat ways, according to the closing text at the end of the trade. I'm ashamed to say the change never totally jumped out at me. I thought the art was solid throughout, but I'm afraid I didn't notice the changes in artwork.

Good

No comments: