Saturday, September 18, 2010

Green Lantern #57

First, let me say that I love Doug Mahnke's artwork. The guy is awesome. But come on! The leader of the "Love" rings is dressed in sharp body armor while all of his followers are in gravity-defying tops. It's ridiculous.

I've been following along with the post-Blackest Night examination of the "State of Rings" in the DCU, but I can safely say that I'm starting to lose interest. The book opened with Hector Hammond obtaining the Orange Lantern, but he sort of shuffles out of the story. Now, I love Larfleeze in Vegas, that's a great idea, but I'm just wearing out on this tour of lantern bearers. The best elements in this title over the past few months have been the DCU-centric pieces. Stuff like the Lobo guest-shot, Hammond's appearance, these have been quite entertaining. How about some more Shark or Old Timer villainy? I've had enough of the rainbow corps for now.

I like the idea of Carol Ferris as an independent hero, but she really doesn't come across as one in this story. She's constantly making barbed comments to Hal about what her love is like. She clearly hasn't moved on, and maybe he hasn't either (since he doesn't like it when she frees a brainwashed dude by kissing him). It's starting to seem like both of these characters are just caught up in a destructive relationship they can't escape.

Again, Mahnke's art is dynamic and powerful. Everything looks great. And I can't complain that Carol doesn't look good as the new queen of the Star Sapphires. But contrasting her suit with both the Predator villain and the Predator entity? It gets pretty silly.

Fair

2 comments:

Martin Gray said...

Sounds awful. Is Carol half-bat on that cover? Such odd ears.

If DC are going to keep expanding the GL franchise, how about one starring Hal, fighting vilains?

Timbotron said...

Ha, that's exactly the point. This book is 100% rainbow lanterns now.