Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Authority v10: Rule Britania TPB

I tried my best, but I just can't make myself like the Authority. They're just too mean and superior to everyone else. Even in this trade, during the end of the world, it seems Midnighter and Swift always have time to remember how great they are how easily they will defeat their foes. Hawksmoor is in a bad way at the start, but by the end he's back to making tons of boasts about being the king of cities once again. The Engineer is the most approachable of the heroes, and even she comes across as tough to like.

The team faces off against a possessed Apollo, a crazy plant controller, and Kaizen Gamorra. The fights are fine, and I like seeing the team try to take care of England, but I was bummed that there were no Numbers of the Beast characters featured in this trade at all. There were so many cool characters introduced in that book, I find myself wanting to see more of them and less of Wildstorm's more established stars.

The art is pretty solid throughout, with Simon Coleby handling the majority. A few of the artistic shifts are a bit jarring, but everyone involved is pretty good.

This holds up fine as another chapter in Wildstorm's post-apocalyptic world, but my dislike of the main characters makes the whole book a bit less interesting.

Average

No comments: