Sunday, July 15, 2012

Invincible Iron Man: Stark Resilient TPB 2

One of Fractions greatest accomplishments with this storyline is the creation of the Stark Resilient staff. I can’t remember all their names, but the five or six folks who make up the new company are all recognizable and entertaining. I especially love the slacker who is playing cell phone games and Bejeweled around Stark’s technological radar sense. Fraction’s other fantastic idea is the crowd-sourcing of Detroit Steel’s backup. The Hammers release a Detroit Steel app that lets you play as Steel’s wingman, piloting a drone battling in the same theater as the big hero. It’s a great idea that gamers all over would be blasting away at Iron Man, yet still think they are saving the world.

Salvador LaRocca has a lot of new designs to work on in this trade. I’m not sure I love all the new designs, but there is no denying the sleeker look makes Iron Man look more futuristic. I don’t love the big eyes on all the suits, but I do like the new repulsor nodes dotting Stark’s new suit. War Machine and Rescue both look way too much like Iron Man, though. WM was always Iron Man with cannons and a paint job, so I’m not too worried about that, but I felt that Rescue’s old elongated helmet and swooping curves made her stand out from the star of the book. The new Rescue suit doesn’t differentiate itself much. Detroit Steel is a nice design. He harkens back to Firepower or the Iron Monger; he just dominates more of the page than the slim Iron Man. And Tony Stark might make fun of the chainsaw blade slung under Steel’s gauntlet, but it sure seemed to be pretty effective!

And I will never get tired of seeing Sawyer from LOST starring as Tony Stark. It makes me chuckle every time I see it.

Good

No comments: