Saturday, July 14, 2012

Invincible Iron Man: Stark Resilient TPB 1

Boy, waiting for the omnibus of Matt Fraction’s run on Invincible Iron Man sure leaves a guy far behind. I’m just now getting to the Heroic Age era of this title, complete with the new Iron Man armor and the debut of Detroit Steel. My little nephews already have a toy of Detroit Steel! That’s got to be the fastest character turnaround ever, right?

This story picks up with Tony Stark broke and beaten, but he’s got a plan. He’s going to make his repulsor tech available to the world, for free, but the gadgets that get plugged in, that’s where there’s a profit. It’s odd, this whole story reminded me of the old WildCATS series where Spartan was going to give everyone HALO batteries. Is it just me, or is this similar? I also find it interesting that Marvel and Fraction have really moved up Stark’s weaponeering days. I mean, I remember he had been out of the gun business for awhile during Armor Wars, but in this story we are seeing that Stark was still manufacturing SHIELD weapons up through Dark Reign! It’s interesting how creators get to go to the same well if they just wait long enough. I’m sure in 2019 we’ll have some crackerjack writer talking about how Stark is thinking about getting out of the weapons biz all over again.

The villains for this arc are the Hammer Girls, the wife and daughter of Justin Hammer. Now, Justin Hammer is one of my favorite Iron Man baddies; I always loved the way he had a small legion of super-powered flunkies on hand to take on Iron Man. There’s a bit of that here, since the Hammers employ both Detroit Steel and Spymaster, but only Steel gets an actual conflict. I will admit it’s a great touch that Tony never figures out that his first prototype car gets blown up by Spymaster. The guy is good at his job!

It’s also interesting seeing how Marvel was pushing the Iron Man Family concept at this time. Iron Man II must have come out in here, because Jim Rhodes is right back front and center. I’m not complaining, I like War Machine, but he hasn’t had a big role in the series so far, yet he’s scoring team-up covers like the olden days. Rescue/Pepper Potts also makes a return. I like Rescue, I think she’s a great supporting character with potential to be a lead, so I’m glad she’s back on the scene. It’s neat having J.A.R.V.I.S. in his movie incarnation too.

(Continued tomorrow)

No comments: