Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Thor (2011) #1-6


After enjoying the heck out of Matt Fraction’s opening work on Thor (in the last volume), I was hopeful for the opening arc of the new series. This is all pre-Fear Itself stuff, featuring the Silver Surfer and Galactus heading to Earth to eat the World Tree seed.

There are some neat cosmic ideas in here, mostly the stuff with Thor, Sif, and Kid Loki diving down into the energy well of the World Tree. I dug the odd, bug-ish antibodies that were defending it.

I’m a little more cold on the involvement of Silver Surfer and Galactus. I don’t really see the point in the posturing that goes on here, and the creation of a new herald for Galactus just doesn’t seem like it will stick. At the close of this arc, the Silver Surfer is trapped on Earth again, and Galactus is off with a glowing priest to find new planets. It just doesn’t seem tremendously compelling, although I suppose I could be surprised.

Fraction’s Thor is not a tremendously interesting guy. He’s a bit of a meat-head, I found myself much more invested in both Sif and Loki. Sif always draws the short straw. For a character that is essentially a gal Thor, she should be a lot more mainstream. She’d be a nice fit on the Avengers, wouldn’t she?

Olivier Coipel’s art is always compelling, but nothing in this story truly stuck out to me. I did enjoy the design of the supporting Asgardian characters, especially Volstagg’s little troop of soldiers.

Average

No comments: