Friday, September 25, 2009

Power Girl #5

Well, this wasn't as bad as I expected. When the solicits promised the villainy of 3 hot-space-party girls, I wasn't filled with anticipation. They actually play fairly close to normal, and while they do seem to be party girls, it isn't the mindless cheesecake I feared. I'm not entirely sold that this story needs more than one issue, but it wasn't bad.

The main strength of Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray's writing is that they have made PG into a relatable character. She makes mistakes, she forgets parts of her costume, but she keeps trying. She's definitely not a quitter and she is headstrong, two admirable qualities that make her fun to read about. I could do without the constant boob-jokes, but it isn't a huge deal since that is one of her main draws. I'm not sold on her supporting cast at her company yet either, I'm just not that into those parts of the book. So I guess I'm lukewarm on the supporting cast and core plot, but I really like the take on the main character.

Amanda Connor is always fun. PG acts like a real person, and the pencils play a huge part in what makes PG seem so likeable. Connor is good at drawing animals too, as PG's cat has a clear personality while only getting a couple panels per month.

Fair

No comments: