Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Power Girl #4

This book is just good enough to keep me coming back for more. There is nothing riveting about Palmiotti and Gray's super-book, but darn if they aren't making PG a pretty darn fun character to keep up with. She's down to Earth and seems to know herself pretty well. The parts of the issue dealing with PG's civilian life are fine enough, but when she and Terra have to face off against magical trolls and dragons, PG tells Terra to handle saving folks while she goes off and punches things. I love that simple approach. Usually guy characters have that kind of attitude, so it is really quite fun to see PG in the headstrong bruiser role.

Having PG help out the misguided villain is unique too. It's a smart idea, surely more villains could be turned if a hero gave them a break the first time they fought (I always liked that aspect of the current Blizzard in Iron Man too). I will admit I'm worried about the party-girl alien story coming up next, it seems like it might be too easy to dumb the comic down, but Palmiotti and Gray have earned the chance to prove me wrong. I suppose with the quick pacing this title offers, even if I don't like the arc it will be over in an issue or two.

Amanda Conner's artwork is always so fun. She gets details and facial expressions that very few others can capture. The background bit with PG's cat pooping on her assistant's jacket was fantastic and I have to wonder if that was in the script or not.

Good

No comments: