Sunday, September 20, 2009

Dark Reign: Daredevil: The List #1

I feel bad for any DD readers who pass on this issue. This is totally Daredevil #501, and it contains a few very important happenings that will be major plot points as Andy Diggle takes over the core title.

DD has taken over the hand, and Osborn isn't happy about it. He quickly dispatches Bullseye to face off against his old foe, and I actually thought the juxtaposition was quite well done. Bullseye came raiding into a dark hideout with armed police (HAMMER) on his side, while DD is hiding out and being tested by a criminal group. This is a great indicator of just how upside-down the Marvel U is these days. Bullseye quickly moves the fight away so he can make a statement, and this relocation brings up one of my few complaints about the issue. I wanted more Black Tarantula and White Tiger! I love these two street-level heroes functioning as DD's henchmen, so I was bummed they got written out so quickly!

Bullseye adds to his almost Joker-ish body count by blowing up a building filled with protesters, all to get a rise out of DD. This works of course, but I've got to think that Bullseye didn't quite think things through. Every time DD goes down a darker path and let's himself go crazy, Bullseye usually gets a helluva beating. Not exactly a good plan, Bullseye! I can't wait to see where Diggle takes the ongoing series; there is a ton of potential in the current direction.

Billy Tan's art is serviceable, but I've never been a big fan. His art is fine, but I love the dark, gritty feel of Michael Lark's art so much, I'm ready to go back to the regular series.

Good

No comments: