Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Nova #28

I'm pleased that DnA took the path they did in the newest issue of Nova. Last issue, the book ended with the cliffhanger that Strontian, Gladiator's cousin, had killed Nova's brother. It turns out that the younger Ryder actually survived his battle. It's odd, I'm glad DnA took that option, but at the same time, it definitely took a little of the drama out of the conflict. It is also nice to see the new status quo with the Nova Corps reforming. Having a regular group for Nova to bounce off of is essential, and casting him as the teaching veteran is a fun concept.

I'm kind of amused at how much I like Nova as a character. He's getting more and more confident, and using his head to solve more problems. He defuses a confrontation with "King" Blastaar this issue in a pretty neat way. I've realized that Nova is essentially a modern version of Kyle Rayner as Green Lantern in the late 90s. No wonder I like him so much.

Andrea DeVito is as consistent and entertaining as always. I really like how he's drawing the powers of the Nova centurions differently depending on their specialties.

Good

5 comments:

Artillery MKV said...

So, if Nova's like Kyle that means he's an angry, arrogant jerk without the self-control we've been told for decades is a requirement to use his powers?

Does it show I didn't like that run in GL? ;P

Ian from Westfields said...

I'd be willing to wager Robbie will be assigned to Earth upon getting the 'rents to approve him joining the Corps--cause Rich is way too powerful now to be in a New Warriors Revival.

^pure speculation on my part but we'll have to see how that NW vol.1 TPB did in sales. ;)

Timbotron said...

Man, how great would a New Warriors reboot be? But how can we get Nita back?

MKV, clearly, you are crazy. Kyle is the best GL.

Artillery MKV said...

Crazy I may be, but a New Warriors reboot WOULD be pretty cool!

Artillery MKV said...

Here's where I admit I'm lame and admit you said Kyle and I read Guy Gardner . . . .THAT guy I hate.