Thursday, September 24, 2009

Blackest Night: Superman #2

Things are starting to become a little stale with the Blackest Night crossovers, which could be a problem considering we've got like 5 more months of these things coming up. After reading Geoff Johns' great dead-dialogue from the Martian Manhunter, Kal-L's didn't really impress me as anything new. I enjoyed James Robinson's use of the Psycho-Pirate. I'm not too familiar with the character, but I loved how rather than getting involved in the super-fight, he just wandered around Smallville causing minor problems and ruining lives in minor ways. I don't know if P-P was that petty while he was alive, but its neat seeing a villain who is being bad for badness sake, without a real goal. The Black Lantern Lois Lane of Earth-2 kind of had to be there, but I really don't know anything about her so I'm not too invested in the Ma Kent vs. Lois aspect of the book. The same goes for the Supergirl portion of the title on New Krypton. The last time I read Supergirl she had knocked down the President's plane in Amazon's Attack, so I am totally clueless on her relationship with her Mom and Dad.

What I like the most about this issue was actually just seeing Superman, Superboy, and Supergirl in action. These are top-tier heroes with classic powers, and I liked seeing them go up against villains that give them a run for their money. It seems like Superman is off in another book in a black suit and Superboy is just going on dates, so seeing these guys actually fight someone was really nice. Robinson also uses the emotion-spectrum idea to great effect. His use of strong, positive emotions for the leads makes them more heroic.

Eddy Barrows does a nice job on the gore and dessication of the Black Lanterns. He's more of a Teen Titans-style artist, so his teens look better than his adults, but he does a decent job on Supes.

Fair

No comments: