Sunday, September 6, 2009

Justice Society of America #30

We're only 2 issues in to Bill Willingham and Matt Sturges' run on JSA and we're already getting some of their signature characterization. Already the JSA is organizing itself into logical missions and team splits, much like these two writers established in Shadowpact. This actually works out better here in JSA, since the team is so large that there are natural splits that make a lot of sense. I'm not sure why Hourman ended up on Team Power Girl, since he never seemed like that proactive a hero (or Cyclone for that matter) but I'm ok with the split overall.

I liked that Jay Garrick, Stargirl, and Dr. Fate are enough to turn the tide of villains that seemed so powerful last issue. After setting up Blue Moon, Eclipso, and Dr. Polaris as the heavy hitters of the villains, I was amused to see them escape PG's team. I hope they show up again, they certainly could form the nucleus of a neat little villain crew. I hope Mr. Terrific is ok, he is a neat character and I don't want to see him out of action for too long. I'm liking the two new sidekick characters too; they add some much needed snark to the respectful halls of the JSA. Magog comes off as more of a jerk here than in his own book, but at the same time, it isn't surprising seeing him face off against Wildcat. I'm sure we won't get an actual fight, but I would actually have liked to see it!

Jesus Merino is firing on all cylinders here. He's a solid artist with a nice, classic style, I'm really happy he's getting the chance to headline a big title like JSA.

Good

1 comment:

Aron Head said...

I was worried when Geoff Johns left the book, but you know it's in good hands with Willingham and Sturges. I'm jazzed for the split into two monthly books. More JSA to love.

We interviewed Matt Sturges this week over at IdeologyofMadness.com in our podcast. Check it out!

http://ideologyofmadness.com/archives/7825