Monday, September 21, 2009

Mighty Avengers #29

I'm afraid I'm just not that riveted by either aspect of the conflict in Mighty Avengers. The Unspoken is a neat idea for a bad guy, but he seems kind of generic. It certainly doesn't help that the only Avengers facing off against him are Quicksilver and US Agent. Perhaps I'll get more wrapped up in that aspect of the story when all 3 Avengers teams link up and take him on next issue.

The Young Avengers' battle with Loki/Scarlet Witch is much more exciting, but really, we are robbed of any type of conclusion. I assume any resolution would have to take place in Thor's title, so I never really thought there was a point to seeing the YA take Loki on. Perhaps I'll be wrong, but right now, it seems that way. I enjoyed seeing Hawkeye interact with the YA, and actually pick up a bow again too. I like Dan Slott's sneaky way of using the real Hawkeye rather than terrible Ronin, just tear up the costume! Nicely done, I'd be willing to accept that in all appearances going forward. Even better, keep Hawkeye on the Mighty Avengers as Hawkeye, then let him slum over in New Avengers in the padded-man suit of Ronin. It was fun seeing how Hawkeye tested out his Scarlet Witch theory too, I wonder how he'll feel when he finds out he planted a kiss on Loki?

Hank Pym and Jocasta's weird relationship is still fun to read about, especially when you remember that Jocasta has Wasp's brain. I'm still holding out hope for a return for the Wasp (since her death served no purpose). I think the interaction there could be very, very interesting. Wasp's ex-husband hanging out, perhaps intimately, with a robot based on her. Very weird, and very comic-booky. I hope it happens.

Koi Pham's art continues to vary between scratchy and decent. I like the guy's art when he has time, but it seems like half his panels are rushed. I'm looking forward to seeing Sean Chen's tighter work in upcoming issues.

Fair

No comments: