Monday, November 22, 2010

Nightmaster: Monsters of Rock #1

Hoo boy. I was pretty sure I'd pick this up, because I like the concept of Nightmaster (dude with magic sword fights monsters), but that logo on the cover sold me. It's almost as cool as Dethklok's!

Adam Beechen doesn't really have time to craft a compelling story, so he uses a pretty amusing aged hippie to give us a running narrative of Jim Rook: Nightmaster. In one of the coolest origins in comics, Jim Rook was a 60's rock star who happened upon a magic sword. From that point on, Rook battled in another dimension as its champion. It's such a classic origin, but what makes it neat is that he was famous BEFORE he became Nightmaster, he already had a claim to fame that he left behind. In this one shot he just gets to pose and show off how tough he is, but seeing his impact on this old fan is a treat.

Kieron Dwyer was a big selling point for me on this book. I absolutely love his past comic work, especially Captain America and the Avengers. His faces have gotten a tad craggier, but he still captures action and drama in a great fashion.

Fair

1 comment:

Jeff said...

My thoughts were like yours: okay.

Certainly an entertaining little tale, but I think my time could have been better spent.