Monday, November 29, 2010

Green Lantern #59

Now that's a pretty cool idea. Geoff Johns finally gives us some background on the mysterious Indigo Lanterns, and they are a lot spookier than I first suspected. We saw them grab Black Hand at the end of Blackest Night, and upon his return, he's quite changed. He's overflowing with compassion. Naturally, Hal Jordan and Barry Allen are suspicious of this, and they figure this might mean that the rest of those Indigo Lanterns are all "reformed" monsters too. Suddenly all those weird looking Indigos might end up being horrific maniacs forced into doing good by the compassion entity. That's a cool idea.

I still don't really care (or even remember) what the main story is with the Lantern entities. It's all too cosmic and confusing for me. I do like seeing the "prime" lanterns interacting with Earth heroes though, once again Larfleeze is awesome when he steals Barry Allen's wallet.

Parallax (the fear entity) pops up and promptly possesses Barry Allen. I don't like it, by making Barry go through the same possession as Hal Jordan, it lessens Jordan's responsibility for what he did as Parallax. Hal already gets too much of a free pass, so I don't want to see his best friend become even MORE understanding.

Doug Mahnke's art is stunning, as usual. The Indigo Lantern's go from kind to creepy in the span of one panel, which is quite a feat. I'm not loving the Parallax-Flash design, but that could be due to my coolness on the concept.

Good

No comments: