Monday, November 8, 2010

Brightest Day #13

Ugh. Way too much time spent on that boring Hawk-stuff this issue. The most telling factor is that once again, there are multiple pages filled with tons of exposition and flashbacks. I STILL don't care about Hawkgirl's Mom and what she did in ancient Egypt. I STILL don't care if the lion-men and the lizard-men overcome the bird-men on some weird other planet. Heck, at this point, I no longer care what happens to Hawkman or Hawgirl! The sooner this story is over, the better. The Hawks are a simple concept and all this odd fantasy-science fiction stuff is too much.

As for the rest of the issue, I'm happy to see the Resurrection Man show up. He was a great Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning concept in the 90s, and he still works now. I don't suppose we'll be lucky enough to have him stick around for the last few issues, will we? We know he isn't getting the white lantern ring, that goes to well-deserved, under-used character pictured above.

The art is fine, and that's actually a bummer. Solid art is wasted on this weird Hawk-stuff.

Poor

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally agreed. It's weird how Johns- the first guy to make me care about Hawkman since Truman's run- is writing him so poorly in this. The whole "New" Hawkworld thing is just so dull.

That being said, it's not like I've really found any of Brightest Day to be that compelling. It feels too much like your average "setting up a new status quo that will last for all of a month" type series. Like do we really think they're going to keep the new Aqualad around? Or that Deadman is going to not revert to being a dead man? lol

Timbotron said...

I agree on all counts. That said, I'll gladly buy this whole series if the end result is Martian Manhunter back in the DCU!