Wednesday, November 17, 2010

New Avengers #6

Well, I suppose that Doctor Voodoo has been an Avenger, so I can't make my normal complaint that the team couldn't clean up their own mess. Now, they still need a lot of help from guest-stars Dr. Strange and Daimon Hellstrom, but at least Strange has ties to the team. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure who is even on the team. It feels like there are so many heroes hanging around that there just isn't enough screen time for everyone. Folks like Wolverine and Spidey get enough panel time, but Ms. Marvel, Mockingbird, and Iron Fist are lost in the background.

It comes down the same problems that Avengers 1-6 had, and that's focus. There were 6 issues dealing with this foe, who only really showed up last issue. We spent too long dealing with generic ghosts and energy falling from the sky.

I appreciate Bendis bringing Killraven to the modern Marvel U, but where does a character like that fit in? I preferred him as a potential "future Avenger."

Stuart Immonen's art is still the high point of this book, but I don't think I can justify the $3.99 anymore. I'm afraid New Avengers is switching to trades.

Fair

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"Fair" might be a little more than fair for this wretched piece of work.

Yet again the Avengers can't seem to solve their own problems, as Brother Voodoo comes in at the last minute to fix everything.

This issue also made me realize that I desperately wish that Marvel could pick a status quo and keep it. How long did we have Brother Voodoo as the Sorcerer Supreme? Five minutes? Ten? The constant status quo changes absolutely kill my interest in these books. That whole big arc from about a year ago where Dr. Strange was searching for a new Sorcerer Supreme now seems like kind of a waste of time if all they were going to do with Brother Voodoo was have him star in a well written but quickly cancelled series and then mysteriously die in a scene that reminded me of a bad episode of Dragonball Z. (Two guys shooting energy beams at each other and then one mysteriously falls over).

With this issue, I'm officially done with Bendis. Powers hasn't felt the same since coming to Marvel, Ultimate Spiderman seems to be ending, and his Avengers output is amazingly sub-par.

Timbotron said...

I agree, this was really bad, but the art was really quite enjoyable. That alone bumped it to Fair for me. That said, I dropped the title.

Martin Gray said...

Well, sounds like dropping this after #3 or whatever isn't going to be one of my regrets. What is it I'm not seeing in Brian Bendis' team books - they're so popular.