Friday, November 26, 2010

Batman: The Return #1

Grant Morrison is still coming up with new ideas. I don't think I've ever seen a flashback of Batman's origin from the point of view of the bat. That's the kind of simple, awesome idea that can make or break a comic. I was so pleased with that concept that everything else that happened in this thing was gravy. (Not that I'm forgiving that unreasonable 4.99 price tag. That's way too much for one comic.)

Morrison is laying the seeds for his run on Batman Inc., where Bruce Wayne franchises a bunch of heroes to take on the Batman identity all over the world. The first few folks to get franchised are Dick Grayson, Stephanie Brown, Tim Drake, and Damian Wayne. No big surprises yet, but I loved seeing Damian try to make things work with Bruce. At this point, Damian clearly works much better with Dick Grayson than with his own Dad.

Morrison also introduces us to another powerful conspiracy called Leviathan. I can't tell much about these guys yet, but I do dig the international feel of the group. I'd bet Tim Drake will match up nicely against them due to all his experience as Red Robin...

David Finch's art is fine, he does a nice job with the new batsuit, and he has to develop a ton of new gear too, including flight suits and GI Robots. His Alfred looks a little too pinched, but that's a small complaint. That one Leviathan operative has a pretty sweet design, almost like a Middle Eastern Batman.

Good

No comments: