Saturday, November 6, 2010

Justice Society of America #44

Marc Guggenheim does a nice job building up a new DC villain in his first issue. This unnamed bad seems tough, angry, and very dangerous. Of course, having the team reduced down to five or six members makes the guy seem a lot tougher. I'm not sure where the other team members went, last I remember this lineup was friggin huge. With only Jay Garrick (old Flash), Alan Scott (old GL, Wildcat, Lightning, Mr. Terrific, and Dr. Fate, the team is a lot more vulnerable.

One thing that bugged me was how dark this whole issue felt. The villain is savage and destroys a city. Flash wants to retire. Alan Scott sustains a huge injury. Worst of all, my favorite guy on the team is losing his super-IQ. I expect JSA to be a bit brighter, so seeing everyone so melancholy is a bummer. I realize this could improve in Guggenheim's next issues, but right now this feels like a 180 degree turn into sadness.

Scott Kolins' art is awesome. In fact, his art is the reason I decided to give this issue a chance. He's using a hybrid of his clean Flash style and the heavier washed look from his more recent work. Everything looks detailed and great; the art is wonderful.

Fair

No comments: