Thursday, January 10, 2013

Walking Dead #106



Boy, I’m getting desperate for some comeuppance! I know Robert Kirkman only introduced Negan a few months ago, but the new villain is so despicable, I already want to see him get what he deserves.

Last issue, Carl attacked Negan’s headquarters, killing some of his flunkies. After a demeaning tour and a confusing conversation, Negan promises that he has more in store for the kid. The reader isn’t privy to that punishment yet, but I’m worried. I don’t think Kirkman will kill Carl off like this (off-panel), but I worry that he will be in even worse shape now. 

The focus switches back to Rick and the Community. I’m grateful for the change, because as I’ve mentioned, I can’t remember who anyone is. Jesus is awesome, of course, but he’s the only new cast member to make a big impression. This guy Nicholas who goes out with Rick, Andrea, and Michonne might as well have a red shirt on. Other name-checks include Spencer, the entitled kid who is still pining for Andrea, and Aaron and Eric have different views on Rick’s current approach to leadership, which is worrying. There don’t seem to be a ton of competent people around the Community anymore, so those two scouts are pretty important. 

Charlie Adlard has been on this book for a long time. This is his 100th issue; that’s an awesome achievement. He’s still doing neat things with the characters; look at how Negan dominates that closing page, while Rick seems smaller, but angry and feisty. Spencer’s “acting” is a bit obvious, but this is a comic, so I don’t have a problem with that. I am a little curious about Carl’s mangled face. Could someone actually live with exposed skull like that?

Good

No comments: