Monday, April 30, 2012

Amazing Spider-Man: Big Time TPB

Don’t get me wrong, I’m absolutely thrilled to see Dan Slott turn the webslinger’s life in a positive direction. We’ve seen Peter Parker suffering enough, for awhile, so it’s nice seeing him employed, dating, and well-supplied with web fluid.

I sort of wish the art was a little less cartoony, Humberto Ramos was toning down the wildness. The action sequences work well with the exaggerated style that Ramos employs, but the quieter character moments all seem a tad off because of his distinctive style. It’s hard getting a bead on some of the characters when their eyes are this huge! There is one scene in particular where it looks like Kingpin’s tiny head is pasted onto an enormous body.

Back to the story. As I said in some of my earlier Spidey reviews, I’m not sold on Carlie Cooper. So far, she just doesn’t hold a candle to MJ or some of the other dominant ladies that Spidey has hooked up with in the past. And I understand why he’s trying to move on, but when you’re out partnering with the Black Cat, it must be tough to come home to Carlie. I do really like the Cat’s new motivation; trying to angle her way onto the Avengers is silly, but not totally unreasonable. (It seems she is no longer pursuing that goal in her recent Daredevil appearances.)

Slott spends some time playing up Spidey’s current Avengers status too. When Doc Ock and the Secret Six make a move, the Avengers show up to help Spider-Man save New York. It’s neat seeing the senior Avengers taking up Spidey’s side, while some of the others express a lot of doubt that a goofball like Spidey could contribute mentally. There’s only a glimpse of it, but I love this new rivalry Spidey has going with Hawkeye; such a great idea.

I’m intrigued by the reappearance of Scorpion at the close of the issue, but it is partially because of the tighter art. I know Stefano Caselli does some Spidey work with Slott, so I’m looking forward to seeing that in the next trade.

Fair

No comments: